James L. Meriam Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Wiesner's research interests include membrane processes, nanostructured materials, transport and fate of nanomaterials in the environment, colloidal and interfacial processes, and environmental systems analysis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- James L. Meriam Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: 120 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708-0287
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5292
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University, 1985
- M.S. University of Iowa, 1980
- B.A. Coe College, 1978
Membrane processes, nanostructured materials, transport and fate of nanomaterials in the environment, colloidal and interfacial processes, and environmental systems analysis
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Water, Resources and Treatment
- CEE 491: Projects in Civil Engineering
- CEE 560: Environmental Transport Phenomena
- CEE 564: Physical Chemical Processes in Environmental Engineering
- CEE 890: Special Readings in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering internship/Project Assessment
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Koyuncu, I., Lüttge, A., Wiesner, M.R., Interferometric observations and kinetic modeling of the chemical cleaning of humic materials deposited on membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, vol in press (2008).
- Auffan, M.; Rose, J,; Proux, O.; Borschneck, D.; Masion, A.; Chaurand, P.; Hazemann, J.L.; Chaneac, C.; Jolivet, J.P.; Wiesner, M.R.; Van Geen, A.; Bottero, J.Y., Enhanced adsorption of arsenic onto maghemites nanoparticles: As(III) as a probe of the surface structure and heterogeneity, Langmuir, vol in press (2008).
- Tsui, E. M. and Wiesner, M.R., Fast proton conducting ceramic membranes derived from ferroxane precursors as fuel cell electrolytes, Journal of Membrane Science, vol in press (2008).
- Espinasse, B.; Hotze, E.M.; Wiesner, M.R., Transport and retention of colloidal aggregates of C60 in porous media: effects of organic macromolecules, ionic composition and preparation method, Environmental Science and Technology (2007).
- Badireddy, A.R.; E.M. Hotze, S. Chellam; P.J. Alvarez; M.R. Wiesner, Inactivation of Bacteriophages via photosensitization of fullerol nanoparticles, Environmental Science and Technology, vol 41 no. 18 (2007), pp. 6627-6632.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1978.
- National Science Foundation Undergraduate Investigator, 1978.
- J.J. Barr Award of the National Association of Water Companies, 1985.
- National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, 1989-1991.
- Association of Environmental Engineering Professors AWWA invited lecturer, 1993.
- Rudolph Hering Medal, Environmental Engineering Division, ASCE, 1995.
- Charles Duncan Award for Scholarship and Teaching, Rice University, 1998.
- North American Membrane Society, Student Research Award (Vladimir Tarabara), 2003.
- AIChE Graduate Research Award for Membrane-Based Separations (Vladimir Tarabara), 2003.
- Pierre de Fermat Laureate and Chair of Excellence, French National Polytechnic Institute, Toulouse, 2004
- AEESP Frontiers in Research Award, 2004
- American Chemical Society
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Water Works Association
- International Water Association
- North American Membrane Society
- Associate Editor, Environmental Engineering Sciences
- Associate Editor, Journal of Environmental Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1993-1999.
- Gubernatorial Appointee, Texas Council on Environmental Technology, 2000 – 2004.
- Scientific Advisory Board Member, European Center for Geosciences and Environment, Aix-en-Provence, France, 2003-present
- Foresight Advisory Board, Suez-Environnement, Paris, France, 2004-present.
- Rapporteur, French Ministry of Research and Education, 2002.
- Consultant, USEPA Science Advisory Board, 1999.
- Scientific Advisory Board Member, International Center for Water, Nancy, France, 1996-present.
- Advisory Committee member, Universidad Nacional de Litoral, Santa Fe, Argentina, 1998.
- Chair, Technical Review Panel of Life Support Systems for Station and Exploration, NASA, 1998.
- Panel member, U.S.E.P.A. Blue Ribbon Panel on evaluating costs of Federal environmental regulations, 1996.
- Committee member, Environmental Engineering Education Task Group, International Association on Water Quality 1994- 1998.
- Founding Chair, American Water Works Association, Research Committee on Membrane Technology, 1988-1992.
- Chair, American Water Work Association, Publications Award Committee, 1995-1997.
- Panel member, Science panel of the Houston Environmental Foresight Committee, 1995.