John D. Albertson
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
John Albertson received his B.S. in civil engineering from SUNY Buffalo; an MBA in Finance from the University of Hartford; a Masters in hydrology from Yale; and a Ph.D. in hydrologic science from the University of California at Davis. Before coming to Duke, he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Albertson's research interests include surface hydrology and boundary layer meteorology; semi-arid vegetation dynamics; Large eddy simulation of turbulence and turbulent transport; urban air quality; hydroclimatic controls on infectious disease dynamics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- W. H. Gardner, Jr. Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: Ciemas, Rm 2465, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5468
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of California at Davis, 1996
Surface hydrology and boundary layer meteorology; semi-arid vegetation dynamics; Large eddy simulation of turbulence and turbulent transport; urban air quality; hydroclimatic controls on infectious disease dynamics.
- CEE 463L: Water Resources Engineering
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 780: Internship
- ENVIRON 590: Special Topics
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Kim,T.-Y., M. Cassiani, J.D. Albertson, J.E. Dolbow, E. Fried, and M. E. Gurtin, Impact of the inherent separation of scales in the Navier-Stokes-αβ equations, Physical Review E, vol 79 no. 4 (2009) (id. 045307.) .
- Huang J, M. Cassiani and J.D. Albertson, Analysis of coherent structures within the atmospheric boundary layer, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol 131 no. 2 (2009), pp. 147-171.
- Detto, M., Katul, G., Mancini, M., Montaldo, N., Albertson, J.D., Surface heterogeneity and its signature in higher-order scalar similarity relationships, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol 148 no. 6-7 (2008), pp. 902-916.
- M. Cassiani and G. G. Katul and J. D. Albertson, The effects of canopy leaf area index on airflow across forest edges: Large-eddy simulation and analytical results, Boundary-layer Meteorology, vol 126 no. 3 (2008), pp. 433 -- 460.
- Bertoldi G, W.P., Kustas, J.D. Albertson, Estimating spatial variability in atmospheric properties over remotely sensed land surface conditions, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol 47 no. 8 (2008), pp. 2147-2165.
- Montaldo N., J. D. Albertson, and M. Mancini, Vegetation Dynamics and Soil Water Balance in a Water-limited Mediterranean Ecosystem on Sardinia, Italy, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci, vol 12 no. 6 (2008), pp. 1257-1271.
- Timmermans, W.J., G. Bertoldi, J.D. Albertson, A. Olioso, Z. Su, A.S.M. Gieske, Accounting for Atmospheric Boundary Layer variability on flux estimation from RS Observations, International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol 29 (2008), pp. 5275-5290.
- G. Bertoldi and J. D. Albertson and W. P. Kustas and F. Li and M. C. Anderson, On the opposing roles of air temperature and wind speed variability in flux estimation from remotely sensed land surface states, Water Resources Research, vol 43 no. 10 (2007).
- N. Montaldo and J. D. Albertson and M. Mancini, Dynamic calibration with an ensemble kalman filter based data assimilation approach for root-zone moisture predictions, Journal Of Hydrometeorology, vol 8 no. 4 (2007), pp. 910 -- 921.
- D. Poggi and G. G. Katul and J. D. Albertson and L. Ridolfi, An experimental investigation of turbulent flows over a hilly surface, Physics Of Fluids, vol 19 no. 3 (2007).
- USDA-ARS, Natural Resource Institute Outside Collaborator of the Year Award (2000)
- NASA, New Investigator Program (NIP) in the Earth Sciences Award (1999)
- Packard Fellowship Nominee for University of Virginia (1998, 1999)
- AGU, Hydrology Section, Outstanding Student Paper Award (1996)
- NASA Graduate Student Fellowship in Global Change Research (1994-1996)
- Hutchinson Fellowship, Institute of Biospheric Studies, Yale University (1992-1993)
- Charles Wood Scholarship, Yale University (1991-1993)
- Tibor T. Polgar Fellowship, Hudson River Foundation (1992)
- Northeast Utilities Chairman's Award for Outstanding Performance (1989)
- Water Resources Research, Associate Editor (2000-2003)
- National Science Foundation, Hydrology Grant Selection Panel, Member, (2001, 2002, 2006)
- Journal of Applied Meteorology, Associate Editor, (1998-2002)
- AGU, Committee on Large Scale Field Experimentation, Chair, (1996-2001)
- AGU, AIP, and AMS Journals, Frequent Manuscript Reviewer
- NSF, NASA, DOE, Proposal Reviewer
- AGU, Committee on Student Paper Awards, Member, (1999-2002)
- EPA/NSF, Water and Watersheds Program, Proposal Review Panel Member, (1998, 1999)
- AGU, Convener of several special sessions over past four years
- European Union, Advisor to Project on Volga’s River Water Resources (1998-2001)
- American Geophysical Union, member
- Irish EPA, Advisor to Project on Eutrophication from Agricultural Sources (2001-2004)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, member
- Chi Epsilon (Civil Engineering Honor Society), member/li>
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of Connecticut