John D. Albertson
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
John Albertson received his B.S. in civil engineering from SUNY Buffalo; an MBA in Finance from the University of Hartford; a Masters in hydrology from Yale; and a Ph.D. in hydrologic science from the University of California at Davis. Before coming to Duke, he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Albertson's research interests include surface hydrology and boundary layer meteorology; semi-arid vegetation dynamics; Large eddy simulation of turbulence and turbulent transport; urban air quality; hydroclimatic controls on infectious disease dynamics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- W. H. Gardner, Jr. Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: Ciemas, Rm 2465, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5468
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of California at Davis, 1996
Surface hydrology and boundary layer meteorology; semi-arid vegetation dynamics; Large eddy simulation of turbulence and turbulent transport; urban air quality; hydroclimatic controls on infectious disease dynamics.
- CEE 463L: Water Resources Engineering
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 780: Internship
- ENVIRON 590: Special Topics
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Montaldo, N; Corona, R; Albertson, JD, On the separate effects of soil and land cover on Mediterranean ecohydrology: Two contrasting case studies in Sardinia, Italy, Water Resources Research, vol 49 no. 2 (2013), pp. 1123-1136 [10.1029/2012WR012171] [abs].
- Lewis, C; Rafique, R; Foley, N; Leahy, P; Morgan, G; Albertson, J; Kumar, S; Kiely, G, Seasonal exports of phosphorus from intensively fertilised nested grassland catchments, Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol 25 no. 9 (2013), pp. 1847-1857 [10.1016/S1001-0742(12)60255-1] [abs].
- Huang, J; Katul, G; Albertson, J, The role of coherent turbulent structures in explaining scalar dissimilarity within the canopy sublayer, Environmental Fluid Mechanics (2013), pp. 1-29 [10.1007/s10652-013-9280-9] [abs].
- Bertoldi, G; Kustas, WP; Albertson, JD, Evaluating Source Area Contributions from Aircraft Flux Measurements Over Heterogeneous Land Using Large-Eddy Simulation, Boundary-Layer Meteorology: an international journal of physical and biological processes in the atmospheric boundary layer, vol 147 no. 2 (2013), pp. 261-279 [10.1007/s10546-012-9781-y] [abs].
- Huang, J; Katul, G; Albertson, J, The role of coherent turbulent structures in explaining scalar dissimilarity within the canopy sublayer, Environmental Fluid Mechanics, vol 13 no. 6 (2013), pp. 571-599 [abs].
- USDA-ARS, Natural Resource Institute Outside Collaborator of the Year Award (2000)
- NASA, New Investigator Program (NIP) in the Earth Sciences Award (1999)
- Packard Fellowship Nominee for University of Virginia (1998, 1999)
- AGU, Hydrology Section, Outstanding Student Paper Award (1996)
- NASA Graduate Student Fellowship in Global Change Research (1994-1996)
- Hutchinson Fellowship, Institute of Biospheric Studies, Yale University (1992-1993)
- Charles Wood Scholarship, Yale University (1991-1993)
- Tibor T. Polgar Fellowship, Hudson River Foundation (1992)
- Northeast Utilities Chairman's Award for Outstanding Performance (1989)
- Water Resources Research, Associate Editor (2000-2003)
- National Science Foundation, Hydrology Grant Selection Panel, Member, (2001, 2002, 2006)
- Journal of Applied Meteorology, Associate Editor, (1998-2002)
- AGU, Committee on Large Scale Field Experimentation, Chair, (1996-2001)
- AGU, AIP, and AMS Journals, Frequent Manuscript Reviewer
- NSF, NASA, DOE, Proposal Reviewer
- AGU, Committee on Student Paper Awards, Member, (1999-2002)
- EPA/NSF, Water and Watersheds Program, Proposal Review Panel Member, (1998, 1999)
- AGU, Convener of several special sessions over past four years
- European Union, Advisor to Project on Volga’s River Water Resources (1998-2001)
- American Geophysical Union, member
- Irish EPA, Advisor to Project on Eutrophication from Agricultural Sources (2001-2004)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, member
- Chi Epsilon (Civil Engineering Honor Society), member/li>
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of Connecticut