Henri P. Gavin
Yoh Family Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Henri Gavin's research interests are in the areas of structural dynamics, earthquake engineering, nonlinear dynamics, seismic hazard mitigation for building contents, system identification, the statistical characterization of environmental loads including wind and earthquake, and optimal control with application to systems with controllable damping.
Dr. Gavin is the director of the Structural Dynamics and Seismic Response Control Laboratory.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Yoh Family Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 162 Hudson Eng Ctr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5201
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1994
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1988
- B.S.E. Princeton University, 1986
Structural dynamics, earthquake engineering, seismic hazard mitigation for building contents, nonlinear dynamics, system identification, optimal control with application to systems with controllable damping.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Earl I. Brown II Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Award, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Duke University, September, 2013
- President's Award, New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering, December, 2010
- Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award, Duke University, September, 2008
- Southeast Mid-Career Teaching Award, American Society of Engineering Educators, September, 2007
- Klein Family Teaching Award, Duke School of Engineering, April, 2006
- Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers, June, 2005
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship, June, 2002
- CEE 201L: Uncertainty Design and Optimization
- CEE 421L: Matrix Structural Analysis
- CEE 490: Special Topics in Civil Engineering
- CEE 491: Projects in Civil Engineering
- CEE 492: Projects in Civil Engineering
- CEE 541: Structural Dynamics
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- EGRMGMT 590: Advanced Topics in Engineering Management
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering internship/Project Assessment
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Harvey, PS; Gavin, HP, Double rolling isolation systems: A mathematical model and experimental validation, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol 61 (2014), pp. 80-92 [10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2014.01.011] [abs].
- Zéhil, G-P; Gavin, HP, Two and three-dimensional boundary element formulations of compressible isotropic, transversely isotropic and orthotropic viscoelastic layers of arbitrary thickness, applied to the rolling resistance of rigid cylinders and spheres, European Journal of Mechanics A: Solids, vol 44 (2014), pp. 175-187 [10.1016/j.euromechsol.2013.10.015] [abs].
- Scott Harvey Jr, P; Gavin, HP, Assessing the Accuracy of Vision-Based Accelerometry, Experimental Mechanics, vol 54 no. 2 (2014), pp. 273-277 [10.1007/s11340-013-9783-9] [abs].
- Sridhar, A; Kuang, A; Garven, J; Gutschmidt, S; Chase, JG; Gavin, HP; Nigbor, RL; Rodgers, GW; MacRae, GA, Christchurch Women's Hospital: Analysis of Measured Earthquake Data during the 2011–2012 Christchurch Earthquakes, Earthquake Spectra, vol 30 no. 1 (2014), pp. 383-400 [10.1193/021513EQS027M] [abs].
- Zéhil, G-P; Gavin, HP, Rolling resistance of a rigid sphere with viscoelastic coatings, International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol 51 no. 3-4 (2014), pp. 822-838 [10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2013.11.009] [abs].