Mary Milus Yoh and Harold L. Yoh, Jr. Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Heileen (Helen) Hsu-Kim is an environmental engineer who specialized in aquatic chemistry and geochemistry. Her research tackles problems related to environmental pollutants and the biogeochemical processes that alter their distribution in water, soil, and air. Her work was applied to a diverse array of topics, including environmental remediation, the impacts of energy production on water resources, global environmental health, and the environmental implications and applications of nanotechnology.
Dr. Hsu-Kim's current research projects are focused on mercury biogeochemistry, the environmental implications of nanomaterials, and the impacts of coal ash disposal and coal mining on water quality. A central theme to her work is the utilization of chemical speciation for understanding and predicting the persistence, mobility and bioavailability of metals and minerals in the aquatic environment.
The methodologies her group employs for this research include laboratory techniques for quantifying trace metal speciation, water-surface interactions, and in-situ applications of solid-state microelectrodes to determine important aquatic constituents in water and sediment.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Mary Milus Yoh and Harold L. Yoh, Jr. Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: 127A Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5109
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley, 2004
- M.S. University of California at Berkeley, 1999
- B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1998
Aquatic chemistry and geochemistry, trace element environmental chemistry, nanogeoscience, mercury biogeochemistry, water-particle surface processes.
Water, Resources and Treatment
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, 2012
- Early Career Research Award, Department of Energy, Office of Science, 2011
- NSF Ridge 2000 Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2004
- ACS Environmental Chemistry Division Graduate Student Paper Award, 2003
- UC-Berkeley Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, 2000
- National Physical Science Consortium Graduate Student Fellowship, 1998-2004
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 1998
- CEE 461L: Chemical Principles in Environmental Engineering
- CEE 490: Special Topics in Civil Engineering
- CEE 491: Projects in Civil Engineering
- CEE 492: Projects in Civil Engineering
- CEE 561L: Environmental Aquatic Chemistry
- CEE 666: Aquatic Geochemistry
- CEE 890: Special Readings in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- ENVIRON 393: Research Independent Study
- ENVIRON 542L: Environmental Aquatic Chemistry
- ENVIRON 666: Aquatic Geochemistry
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Jiang, C; Hsu-Kim, H, Direct in situ measurement of dissolved zinc in the presence of zinc oxide nanoparticles using anodic stripping voltammetry., Environmental Science: Processes && Impacts, vol 16 no. 11 (2014), pp. 2536-2544 [10.1039/c4em00278d] [abs].
- Hagan, N; Robins, N; Gonzales, RDE; Hsu-Kim, H, Speciation and bioaccessibility of mercury in adobe bricks and dirt floors in Huancavelica, Peru, Environmental Geochemistry and Health: official journal of the Society for Environmental Geochemistry and Health (2014) [10.1007/s10653-014-9644-1] [abs].
- Zhang, T; Kucharzyk, KH; Kim, B; Deshusses, MA; Hsu-Kim, H, Net methylation of mercury in estuarine sediment microcosms amended with dissolved, nanoparticulate, and microparticulate mercuric sulfides., Environmental Science and Technology (Washington), vol 48 no. 16 (2014), pp. 9133-9141 [10.1021/es500336j] [abs].
- Arnold, MC; Lindberg, TT; Liu, YT; Porter, KA; Hsu-Kim, H; Hinton, DE; Di Giulio, RT, Bioaccumulation and speciation of selenium in fish and insects collected from a mountaintop removal coal mining-impacted stream in West Virginia., Ecotoxicology, vol 23 no. 5 (2014), pp. 929-938 [10.1007/s10646-014-1236-4] [abs].
- Pham, AL-T; Morris, A; Zhang, T; Ticknor, J; Levard, C; Hsu-Kim, H, Precipitation of nanoscale mercuric sulfides in the presence of natural organic matter: Structural properties, aggregation, and biotransformation, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol 133 (2014), pp. 204-215 [10.1016/j.gca.2014.02.027] [abs].