Earl I. Brown
J. A. Jones Professor Emeritus
Earl Brown joined the faculty at Duke University in 1960. A graduate of Virginia Military Institute, Professor Brown holds an M.S. degree from North Carolina State University and a Ph.D. degree from the University of Texas. During a portion of his twenty-two years as a regular faculty member in the Civil Engineering Department, Professor Brown served as president of the North Carolina section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (A.S.C.E.) and as President of the eastern branch of that group. He was selected as Civil Engineer of the Year in 1980 by the A.S.C.E. Additionally, he has served as President of the Southeastern Section of the American Society for Engineering Education and has served as President of the Durham Engineers’ Club and of the Central Carolina Chapter of the National Society for Professional Engineers.
The author of many articles pertaining to reinforced and prestressed concrete, Professor Brown has served as a member of a number of committees of the American Concrete Institute and was previously one of the board of review editors for the Institute’s Journal. He has served on several National Science Foundation review panels, and was, for six years, director of the Education Division of the American Road Builders Association. He was also a member of ten ad hoc visiting committees for accrediting reviews of the Engineers’ Council for Professional Development.
While on leave from Duke during the academic year of 1966-67, Dr. Brown was a Visiting Professor at Liverpool University. During this period he was awarded the Premium Prize of the Liverpool Engineers’ Club for his service to that organization. He was also selected as a Visiting Distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Witwaters-rand, Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1974. He retired from Duke University in 1982.
- Office Location: 121 Hudson Eng Ctr
- Email Address:
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Abeles, P.W. and Brown, E.I. and Woods, Jr., J.O., Preliminary report on static and sustained loading tests, Journal of the Prestressed Concrete Institute, vol 13 no. 4 (1968), pp. 12 - 32 [abs].
- Brown, E.I., Erosion control at Wrightsville beach, Shore and Beach, vol 8 no. 4 (1940), pp. 122 - 124 [abs].
- Brown, E.I., Beach erosion studies, American Society of Civil Engineers -- Transactions, vol 66 no. 8, Part 2 (1940), pp. 869 - 890 [abs].
- Brown, E.I., Beach erosion studies, American Society of Civil Engineers -- Proceedings, vol 66 no. 3 (1940), pp. 501 - 506 [abs].
- Brown, E.I., Beach erosion studies, American Society of Civil Engineers -- Proceedings, vol 65 no. 1 (1939), pp. 69 - 91 [abs].